Ah, balsamic vinegar. Such a unique taste – a sweetness that adds so much flavour to everything, from strawberries to steak. For this recipe, it provides the base for a delicious marinade for chicken and sweet bell red pepper. We made this tonight for dinner and it was a lovely combination alongside wild rice.
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 2 breasts of chicken
- 1 whole red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- Chop 2 sprigs of rosemary, avoiding the centre stem. Set aside.
- Crush garlic cloves. Set aside.
- Drizzle both sides of chicken with most of the balsamic vinegar and olive oil (save some for later as well).
- Coat chicken with chopped rosemary, garlic and pepper and marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, chop the red pepper into easy-to-fry slivers.
- Place chicken in pan and fry for 3-4 minutes. Flip chicken.
- Add red pepper slivers to pan as well, along with more oil and vinegar.
- Continue cooking for a few more minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- About a minute before you finish, add 2 sprigs of whole, fresh rosemary to the pan.
- When done, arrange on a plate with your side dishes of choice and garish with the sprigs of rosemary.