There’s something so pleasing about a light summer salad. I love this pear & walnut combination which features a simple homemade balsamic vinaigrette based on a recipe by my mom. It’s healthy and provides the perfect starter for a summer barbecue – and pairs beautifully with white wine. (Anything that goes with wine is good in my books!) While the presentation for this salad is so lovely, you can make it in under 10 minutes… so why save it for a special occasion?
Ingredients (for 4-6 servings):
- 1 pear
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- Goat’s cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1/2 of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing, mix together olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and honey in a bowl. Add a few squeezes of lemon juice and a dash salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Skin the pear and use a paring knife to cut off fine shavings.
- On top of arugula, sprinkle the pear shavings, goat’s cheese and walnuts.
- Drizzle dressing over top shortly before serving.
This is a lovely side salad for the summer (we had it with beef tenderloin, potato salad and green beans over the weekend) but could also be a satisfying main course. Try it served with our honey dijon chicken on top – the dijon mustard in both recipes makes them a great pairing. Happy cooking!