I love a good caesar salad. You know the type – salty, savoury, full of flavour. Unfortunately, many are just lettuce tossed with creamy, packaged dressing. Lots of calories and a bit of a letdown.
If you want to impress guests with a delicious caesar salad drizzled with homemade dressing, try this out – it’s my mother’s recipe that she’s been tweaking over the years, and I finally just asked her what was in the darn thing. Trust me, you’ll be tossing your bottled dressing in the trash in no time!
Ingredients (for 4):
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove raw garlic
- 1 tbsp. worstershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- Up to 1/2 tsp. or so anchovy paste (depending on preference)
- 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan arregiano
- Mix together olive oil, garlic, worstershire sauce and dry mustard in a small mixing bowl.
- Add anchovy paste if you wish, or leave out for a vegetarian option. Mix with a fork until it blends fully with the rest of the dressing mixture.
- Drizzle dressing over romaine lettuce shortly before serving.
- Squeeze and drizzle lemon juice and add parmesan shavings and ground pepper.
- Recipe: Potato salad with chives & tarragon (allthingsnice.ca)