I’ve been meaning to experiment with penne alla vodka for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge over the weekend. After seeing countless different recipes and trying different versions at restaurants, I played around with the ingredients and I’m happy with this flavourful blend of spices – and it only took about half an hour from start to finish. Quick and delicious? That’s my style.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced pancetta
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 green onion
- Ground black pepper
- Boil pasta for approximately 10 minutes, until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, finely chop green onion.
- Add olive oil, garlic, pancetta and green onion to a pan over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder and basil. Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add whipping cream and most of the shaved parmesan (saving some for later). Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add vodka and continue cooking sauce for another 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Once pasta is ready, add it to the pan and coat with sauce.
- Serve immediately, topped with ground black pepper and parmesan.
- Recipe: Pizza with prosciutto & arugula
- Recipe: Pork & peppers with sriracha sauce
- Recipe: Baked pork tenderloin