That’s me on the right! Image via AnnaWithLove.
In case you missed my last post about Blog Podium, here’s a quick recap: I went to this lifestyle blogging conference in Toronto over the weekend, had a great time – and learned a lot! I wanted to obviously share some of that learning with all of you (especially if you’re interesting in blogging but weren’t able to attend.) All the presenters had different things to share but I noticed a few common themes & tips throughout all the presentations.
Some big takeaway points from the day:
- If you’re launching a blog, make sure you have a vision & mission. Narrowing in on a few topics and a certain voice/tone will help make your blog stand out and help build a consistent brand.
- Treat your blog like a magazine – with you as the Editor-in-Chief! That means vetting submissions carefully, ensuring everything is top-quality before you publish, and having an editorial calendar to keep you on track for having regular engaging content.
- Don’t compare your blog to anyone else’s. We’re all doing this for different reasons and have different goals. And if you’re just starting out, there’s no way you can expect to have the following of a blog that’s been around for 5 years – ain’t gonna happen, so don’t stress about it.
- Be true to yourself on your blog. Readers can tell if you’re not being authentic.
- When you’re working with brands, make it a win-win scenario. Have your blog traffic stats ready and be a consummate professional so that you both gain from the partnership.
- Don’t stretch yourself thin. If you don’t have time to manage five different social media accounts, narrow it down to 2-3 you enjoy using. If you’re not able to blog every single day because of work or family commitments, just schedule posts for a few days a week and keep your readers in the loop on when they can expect content.
- Above all: Blog because you love it. If it’s no fun, what’s the point?
I also realized that I really, really need to get an iPhone (just preordered the 5s, which I’ll be getting in 2 weeks – hurrah) so that I can finally use Instragram. And… I really need business cards. Like, really badly. I felt a bit silly without them! But oh well – live and learn. I’ll know for next time.
Did you learn anything interesting at Blog Podium? Let me know in the comments!